Thursday 13 October 2011

#2 ME AND MANDY?

http://youtu.be/TMSSqCEZaOk

Above is the link to my personal favourite song. Ever.

You probably think it's awful. Fact.

But for some strange reason it's stuck with me as something I can always listen to, usually a good indicator that for me, anyway it's a favourite. Sang by the artist 'Example' (who has now consistently turned out commercial s**t for the masses) it’s part of his much earlier work. Lovely.

The chorus states;
'She won't say where we're gonna go and I do not need to know, oh no,
'Cuz it's just me and Mandy,
We sit there looking at the Thames don't give a f**k about our old friends,
'Cuz it's just me and Mandy.'

Brilliant isn't it? An exhibition of genius in the format of wordplay and rhyme it's a demonstration of what in my eyes a true song should be. Personally it just seems as if the artist himself does not care, the song seems wild, it's blaring, it's riddled with profanities and laced with references to underground drug abuse and culture. Like I said, brilliant. The first line itself even states;

'Youre a bitch.'

How attention grabbing. Even now as I type these very sentences and words down, the song blazing through my headphones in this otherwise silent library, the lyrics just transport my mind to a day dream of utter chaos. Call it a party if you wish, but it's far more abstract than that. Yes, the use of 'Mandy' is clearly not about a female lover of the artist as he clearly calls her his 'crystal mistress' but it is this quirky and frank description of how his 'head and not my genitals' are buzzing off the molecules put across the suggested images of pure ecstasy (oh the irony) and jubilation he has during this night out and thus what the song reflects upon the listener.

He calls the experience the 'best 12 hours of the last 6 months', how enticing that such an effect could be so incredible. All it makes me consider is pure curiosity, that the effects of 'Mandy' could apparantly be so delightfuly life-changing. With no cares in the world expressed in the song itself, it truly oozes the obviously intentional rush and buzz of the experience. Plus it's a pretty good tune too...

No comments:

Post a Comment